Sunday, October 3, 2010

On the 3rd Day of Halloween......

The creepies brought to me....... RAIN! LOTS AND LOTS OF RAIN! Seriously? Why? Which can only mean that Mom and I cancelled our trip to Poe's house. We've decided to reschedule for next Sunday and in exchange I made her promise that she would trip with me on Tuesday to go to Grace Sherwood's house, also known as the Witch of Pungo. She was the only person tried in Virginia for witch craft and she is the last known witch trial in North America. She was tried by ducking and guess what..... SHE SURVIVED! HA! She was then imprisoned for about 8 years and then returned to her land where she lived out the rest of her days in solitude. There is a lot more to the story and if you are interested this site gives you the very basics and even shows the memorial statue and this site gives a bit better of a story as well as some honoring ritual and what nots dedicated to her (the poem at the beginning is very nice as well). She was given a pardon by the Governor on the 300th anniversary of her trial. Being a local, you here about her history often throughout your life. There is even a main road that is called Witchduck that goes from the old court houses where she was tried to the bay where she was ducked. MMmmm, love the south and our inevitability to name things after tragic events. So that's our deal, and I will make sure she sticks to it!!
As for today, I was busy crafting and up to my elbows in chocolate and powdered sugar. Results of which you will see at a later day this week. For the moment, the kitty is curled up next to me and there is a terribly cheesy movie on SyFy, all the makings for a good ending to a dreary day. I hope you all had a more productive day than I. And if you got caught in the rain too I hope that you were able to salvage some of it. See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. It's raining here too ~sigh~ that sounds like a great outing on tuesday going to Grace Sherwood's house. have fun make sure to post about it.

    ReplyDelete